Tuesday, December 19, 2017

My Journey

My name is Danita Kurtz and welcome to my blog. This being my first blog, I want to introduce myself and give you a brief background of why I decided to become a missionary with the Lay Mission-Helpers Association.

I grew up in a family where many of my cousins were missionaries who have journeyed on long and short term missions in various parts of the country and the world. Their inner strength, their faith in God, their stories of different cultures and their overall mission experience embedded a longing in my own heart to pursue a mission opportunity. After graduating from college, my twin sister, Debbie, taught English conversation in Japan for 14 months as a Marynoll missionary. Currently, I am a parishioner at St. Bartholomew in Long Beach and now it is my turn to share my skills and talents with others.

How did my mission journey begin? A lay missionary visited my church and spoke at all services about mission opportunities. I felt a nudge in my heart, and after much prayer, attended a discernment weekend at the Lay Mission-Helpers Association mission house. After completing an extensive application and interview process, I was accepted as a candidate.  

I moved into the mission house in Los Angeles in August and attended the formation program taught by excellent and knowledgeable instructors. I was commissioned on December 10.  Now, I await my visa and am ready to depart for my three-year mission to Kimbe, Papua New Guinea. I will be teaching English in a technical school. 

Now I welcome you to share my journey as a missionary. First and foremost, I need your prayers as I pursue my vocation. I have developed friendships here and thrive in the knowledge that with God's help and your prayers, I will successfully complete my mission.  Please pray for me, and, in return, I will pray for you too. 

God bless each and every one of you as my journey begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Journey to the South Coast Part III

The morning of the Diaconate Ordination we were devastated by the news that Bishop Bill passed away the night before of Covid. It was ironic...